Sunday, July 19, 2009

Howeara Lava Burst


I recently purchased this orchid from a grower in Wisconsin. It's a multi-bloomer hybrid. It arrived two days after I ordered it and in great shape. I didn't know what to expect, but there are 3 stems loaded with blooms. I'm going to give this one to my dad for his birthday. Hopefully it will do great. The culture is similar to oncidium.

I did notice that there is some styrofoam poking through the holes of the pot. I got nervous, but then did a search on styrofoam and orchids and apparently it is common practice to use styrofoam peanuts (white only) to promote drainage at the bottom of the pot to prevent root-rot.

It's a beautiful plant and compact. I'm tempted to keep it for myself. Hopefully, he'll eventually get some keikis and I'll be able to propograte a new plant. I've had some success with that before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home